Saturday, November 6, 2010

Leo DiCaprio called me!


I was excited. Sure, it was a recording but it was really him! He was plugging some candidate. But still. Leo DiCaprio! I was supporting the other guy but now that I know that Leo DiCaprio, an Oscar nominee for Godsakes, is supporting his opponent I have to switch my vote. How can I not? You saw Leo in INCEPTION. He’s really SMART! Plus, who studies the issues more diligently than Hollywood actors?

Later I got a call from the great Martin Sheen! Wow! He also had a candidate recommendation for me. And remember, Martin Sheen was the president once. You saw WEST WING. He was such a knowledgeable and compassionate leader. I could study the candidates myself, read their positions, watch their debates, analyze their records but I’m just a layman. Martin Sheen is an actor. And not just an actor. A father. One just has to look at how well his sons turned out to be supremely impressed.

Susan Sarandon has called twice asking me to vote yes on legalizing marijuana. She's an Oscar winner so not only am I going to vote yes, I'm going to get some marijuana!

And then there’s Sally Field. Mama Gump herself called! I’ve seen her quite often at the gym and she’s never said a word to me in five years. I had no idea me and Sal were this close.

These stars are providing a great public service – giving of their recorded time to set us straight on the complicated issues of the day. And it’s scary out there. You’ve seen the commercials. It seems every candidate really wants higher taxes, has no experience and will destroy our way of life, is a serious criminal, is a puppet to corporate greed, is in bed with the terrorists, and every proposition will bankrupt us, cost us our jobs, and is really supported by tobacco growers and the oil industry.

In the past we’ve voted, life has moved on, we’ve been pleased or displeased with the results and have voted accordingly next time. But this time, if we make even one bad decision then it’s Armageddon. So it’s clear. The stakes are waaaay too high to not listen to actors, especially ones who can open a movie.

I hope you’ll get out and vote today. But of course, who am I?

The Flying Nun hopes you’ll get out and vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment